Wednesday 21 December 2016

I Don My (Christmas) Onesie

Getting  back from work yesterday, I made the miscalculation of thinking I'd have a quick bath before going out to the pub with the badminton club.  Quick Bath is an oxymoron.  Like Cool Polyester, or (if not in Switzerland or some other exotic place) Reliable Public Transport.  Or Exotic Switzerland.

So, my bath wasn't quick and just as I got out, Jonathan phoned to say that they'd nearly finished drinking.  This surprised me, as by that time I was planning to be only an hour or two late, and the club has something of a reputation for stamina.  But as we chatted, I confessed to extreme end-of-term tiredness and opted out, stayed in.

It made perfect sense to get straight into my Christmas onesie for the first time this year. 

People have different markers for when the Christmas season begins.  For some it seems to be August, and the start of Christmas shopping.  For others, it's the January sales, when reduced Christmas cards encourage preparation for the following year.  I suppose for these people, Christmas is never really over but exists as a background to everything else.  For me for a while, it was my sons' primary school nativity plays - those afternoons snatched from work to sit on tiny chairs in a hot and crowded hall watching hundreds of children have their individual moments of glory and disappointment. Even longer ago, it was Christmas Eve afternoon, stopping for a moment to listen to Nine Lessons and Carols from King's College, Cambridge.  Once, when I was gloriously 13 for a moment, and in awe of adulthood, it was being in King's Chapel for the advent service.  It was absolutely possible to believe in a virgin birth under that fan-vaulting, resonant with the sounds of angels.

Nowadays, my Christmas begins when the autumn term properly ends for me, as it did yesterday.  The term which is the best and worst of everything in teaching: the one which starts with high expectations and goes on forever, and which descends from the vigour of a fresh autumn into the overwork of  'getting everything done by Christmas'. 

Putting on my onesie yesterday evening meant succumbing, at last, to rest. To not getting everything done.  To lack of any attempt at dignity or style.  To lying on the sofa, enjoying that reckless and blissful thing - an evening snooze in the hopeful light of my Christmas tree, and then getting up, heedless of the time, to make marzipan.

9 comments:

  1. Considering the central issue here has been a two slice of lemon and lime toast and cafetière of fair trade job. And no conclusion, except that tha above combo is a foretaste of heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful. Just reading it's made me feel 200% more Christmassy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ... But is that a good thing? Next post. - I Feel Responsibleb.... ;-)

      Delete
    2. :-) Definitely a good thing! Your post and suddenly realising I like mulled wine have shifted me into being almost entirely non-grumpy.

      Delete
  3. After further pondering, I think Christmas begins with the Sunday Times Wine mailshot.
    Those guys know exactly which dates to target,
    They get you at home where you can be mellow and reflective as you respond to the warm glow of the reds and glistening condensation on the polished whites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why is the clock on these posts so bananas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew - I've tried to alter settings but no luck. I need someone under 25 to show me ...

      Delete