Saturday 4 February 2017

I Justify My Position

Justified, I'm justified
it's just as if I'd never sinned ...

This was amongst the worst of the choruses I sang in church when I was a child. For those blissfully in the not know, justification refers to the Christian doctrine that we are all sinners who can only be saved by accepting the forgiveness won by Jesus' sacrifice on the cross. 

(Crazy, isn't it?)

There was also this:

I keep falling in love with him over and over and over and over again,
I keep falling in love with him over and over and over and over again,
I keep falling in love with him over and over and over and over again:
over and over and over and over and over and over again.

You don't believe me but it's true.  We - father, mother, three brothers, me - were on holiday in Yorkshire.  We'd found (no respite) a church to go to on Sunday.  Even I, indoctrinated as I was, could recognise this doggerel as a exceptionally poor example of the expression of ecstatic religious fervour, and struggled to stifle my sniggers.

The Just As If I'd chorus followed by the Over and Over chorus came to mind in quick succession when I received an email from Waitrose this morning telling me I've saved £125.94.in the past three months.  I was very pleased.  About the savings - not the earworms.

I know that I don't need justification for anything these days, but still, the tug towards providing an explanation to some unknown Watcher In The Sky (WITS) for all my actions, even grocery shopping in not the cheapest shop available, remains.

But never mind.  The feeling's so much weaker these days. Most of the time it's imperceptible.  And I'll keep queuing in Waitrose (maybe meeting my love from time to time) over and over and over and over and over again.



 



2 comments:

  1. It's this word 'earworms' I can't get my head round. Please help, Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can't get your head around it, that's good, Paul. It's when you get your head around it and then it gets into it and won't leave that you have a problem ... thanks for reading!

      Delete