Monday 18 November 2019

I Reinforce My Poems

I've been putting my files in order. It's taken a while, but a couple of months after beginning the organisation project, I now have an (almost) complete set of my published and publishable poems in alphabetical order. I haven't counted them, but there are three full ring binders. I've also made a separate folder of 'Early and Not for Circulation' poems. 

Of course, there are some poems on the boundary between what I consider 'publishable' and the ones 'not for circulation'. In the end, I can only be sure a poem is publishable when it's published. These days, I have a clearer sense of a poem of mine that is good, and a poem that is, well, slightly embarrassing; but there is still a margin of uncertainty. 

Whilst sorting the collection, some pages became unstable - so I popped into WH Smith's after work for reinforcements. Here (before the application of reinforcement and after the application of reinforcement) is my much used poem, 'The School Concert', which was published in Mslexia in 2011. 














When I received a cheque for £25 for this poem, I photographed it, in case it was the only one I ever received.



It's not possible for me to have an entirely clear judgement about the strengths and weaknesses of my own work, and so I appreciate the external validation that a publication brings.

This evening, I've been sticking small circles of paper onto poems which have become a bit worn, with a view to increasing their staying power. It's a surprisingly satisfying venture. 




No comments:

Post a Comment