Saturday 8 August 2020

I Apply Another Coat

There's something sensual about applying emulsion to walls, covering damage with a paint close to the colour of farmhouse strawberry ice cream (the colour is the same as the one I remember from childhood, when I stirred my carefully allocated fair ice cream share around my bowl with a spoon and great concentration, to make a thick milkshake on a hot day). 

The chart's named the shade 'Calamine', and it also reminds me of the soothing effect of lotion on childhood insect bites and spots. Ahhh - chicken pox. A familiar virus. 

 One layer of paint is rarely enough to give a good finish, which I don't mind in relation to walls, but is a challenge in the case of my living room ceiling which is plain white, and a little too high to reach without a step up of some sort. I like to think I'm working out my deltoids, biceps and pecs as I hold paint overhead on brush or roller, that I'll finish the decorating with better definition. I paint white on white in imaginary squares, so that even when I can't see what I'm doing, each section gets its fair share.
 
As each coat goes onto the walls, dull biege becomes a more distant memory. I know that in time I'll add marks to this new pink layer - but for now, it's a creamy pleasure to sweeten all this time I'm spending at home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment