Thursday 31 December 2020

I Await The New Year

With an hour to go till midnight, and this year's end, I'm in a reflective mood. 

The one thing 2020 wasn't, was the year of perfect vision.

One thing 1st January 2021 won't be, is a clean break with the past.

What can be new about a new year? What can be made new in our lives - the days which include loss and growth, hopeful watching, and cautious fear?

Each day of it. Each dawn. Each chance to wake into morning and take it as a gift. 

Yesterday I walked in sunshine on snow-covered hills. My feet slipped on ice, but when I stood still and looked up, I was dazzled by clean light. Today, I cycled down avenues striped by the shadows of stripped trees. My feet grew cold, but when I stopped in sunlight, I warmed as if I'd the capacity for stillness, like a lizard on rock.

Much will be the same tomorrow as it has been in this passing year, yet I am resolved to find something new in each day of it.







No comments:

Post a Comment