I've been out for a new single release cocktail inspired by Ally London's latest marvel. Having listened to 'Whiskey Vermouth' on repeat since it came out at the end of August, I realised I couldn't fully appreciate the lyrics, never having drunk the drink.
My research tells me I've been missing out - whiskey and vermouth is a classic combination which is the basis for a number of cocktails, including the Manhattan. So this evening I got my ducks in a row and went out.
Three or so bars in, I found one serving what I needed and placed my order. It was before 6 o'clock, but I've been well-trained by my late and much-missed adopted mother, Morar, to disregard social conventions when it comes to lifting spirits.
I sipped the chilled, intense, sweet, musky, bitters-infused drink, feeling increasingly mellow.
The background music was busy and fast-paced and didn't suit the Manhattan mood, so I wandered over to the DJ and asked if he takes requests. He doesn't.
If he had, he'd have found out how beautiful this song is. It would have helped all of us there, drinking in our early Saturday evenings, to sink it down smooth and to feel the insistence of the goodness of love that is in this song: in its lyrics, in its many-stranded accompaniment, in the build of the heart-beat guitar strum, there from from the song's start, and giving wonderful momentum to its completion.
I finished my drink, ate the delicious cherry at the bottom of the glass, stole out into Shrewsbury's streets, and walked home and have been listening to the song while writing to you here, dear readers.

No comments:
Post a Comment