Monday 30 December 2019

I Deactivate My Facebook Account

I am about to say farewell - for six months at least, and probably twelve if I have the courage - to my Facebook account. It's been a blast, and I've enjoyed the playtime with y'all and at its best, it's provided the much-enjoyed warmth and wit of human contact, but I've noticed that the habit of reading I've developed in the past couple of years is, well, excessively casual. I want to get back to it: to get further in to sustained reading.

Something about Facebook appeases my preference for the quick fix rather than the long haul. It's like (how can I put it?) going for a milkshake rather than taking time out to cook the perfect risotto.

I want to get back into some sustained writing too, and I received the perfect gifts for this purpose at Christmas:

A. A long, warm cardigan
B. A book writing kit:






So this blog serves three purposes:

ONE - I find that if I commit to something in public that I don't find easy but know will benefit me (like doing the Parkrun) I am much more likely to do it - so here I am, making a pact with myself to deactivate my FB account at the very end of 2019 in as public a way as seems appropriate. 

TWO - If you have enjoyed reading I Buy A New Washer via the Facebook link, this is to let you know you can become a blog follower by filling your email into the 'follow by email' box. 

THREE - Well, here's hoping that the third purpose will make itself clear in 2020.






3 comments:

  1. I also deactivated my facebook and insta toward the end of last year for ethical reasons. (I technically still have to be on facebook for "group work" for my day job - but that is it). It has been a couple months. So far so good for helping me write/think better. Best of luck to both of us.

    ReplyDelete